Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Reflections on the Lockheed P2-V Air Tanker

In regards to large air tankers, especially early on, I cut my teeth watching the Lockheed P-3 Orion and the Lockheed P2-V fly fires, for specifications see this April 2009 article. I have benefitted from have the chance to correspond with a couple of former pilots of the P2-V. Through watching videos of the P2-V tankers in action along with my correspondence with a couple of her former pilots, I gained a little familiarity with these air tankers. Through my correspondence with P2-V and other tanker pilots, I grew to appreciate how complicated it is to fly air tankers.

Neptune Aviation was the last contractor to have P2-Vs on national contract here in the United States. The last of their P2-Vs were retired from aerial firefighting in 2017, many are in museums, see Neptune Aviation Yesterday for more information. Neptune Aviation has a nice photo gallery, called P2V retirement, that you may enjoying viewing.

To the P2-V air tankers and your pilots, your sacrifices and service in fighting wildfires from the air in aid of the wildland firefighters on the ground will not be forgotten.


Direct link to video from Scorched Sky Productions on Youtube


No comments: