Monday, April 13, 2020

2020 NJ wildfire season: update on the Split Ditch Fire

I wrote about the Split Ditch Fire on Friday, April 10th  that had burned over 1,000 acres in the Millville Wildlife Management Area in Downe Township, Cumberland County New Jersey. The fire was reported contained on Saturday, April 11th at 1,518 acres. The fire, which started on Thursday April 9th, was caused by lightning. For more information see this Facebook Post from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service and an April 12th article from NJ Advance Media.

An observation, if I may. Now I am no expert in wildfire starts in New Jersey. However there were some rain storms that passed through the State on Thursday afternoon, some accompanied by lightning. I believe that this type of thunderstorm is called a wet thunderstorm because if is raining. As opposed to the dry thunderstorms (with little or no rain) that occur out west.  I believe that lightning from these dry thunderstorms do cause a number of wildfires in western parts of the country.

What some of you may not know is that the New Jersey closed the state and county parks, forests, recreation areas, etc effective Tuesday, April 7 at 8 PM see this article from NorthJersey for more information. Knowing this, I was wondering how this wildfire got started. I figured that arson or an unattended camp fire was only a remote possibility because of the closure. I wondered about lightning but I know that lightning caused wildfires in New Jersey do not happen that often It turns out that according to the NJ Forest Fire Service the Split Ditch Fire was caused by lightning. Interesting. It is contained now and with last nights and today's rain fall, I would think that any remaining hot spots are out.

Oh, by the way, the State of New Jersey was under a Red Flag Warning on Saturday, April 11th. I have not heard of any larger wildfires that may have started on Saturday, at least none that I am aware of through my local news sources. If I hear of anything, I will report back.

No comments: