Friday, July 10, 2020

2020 New Jersey wildfire season: L Field Fire (July 9th)

I want to thank a knowledgeable friend for telling me about the L Field Fire that was first reported by a New Jersey Forest Fire Service aircraft on July 9th. At last report from my friends at the NJFFS Section B10 (note this page may be revised in a day or so) the L Field Fire has burned 204 acres and was at 80 percent containment in the Collier Mills Wildlife Management Area near the Cassville section of Jackson NJ. The fire was large enough that a staging area was set up at a Church on Route 528 near the fire. I also understand that one of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service helicopters, Delta 3 flew the fire yesterday.

As I write this the rains from Tropical Storm Fay have impacted all of New Jersey, so I expect that the L Field Fire may be fully contained.  It burned in a remote section of the Colliers Mill WMA and no structures were threatened. I do not know exactly where the L Field Fire was located, but I saved an image from Google Earth for you so you can get a sense of where the fire was located.

More information about this fire may be obtained from the following media sites.


Thanks to all the firefighters on the ground and in the air who worked to contain this fire before the rains came.






No comments: