Monday, July 13, 2020

2020 New Jersey wildfire season: L Field Fire photos

I wrote about the L Field Fire on Friday July 10th. I took some down time this weekend. This morning, I was catching up with news from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) to see what has been going on since Friday when I saw a post on the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (July 10th at 3:57 PM) with some photos of the L Field Fire that burned 204 acres in the Colliers Mills Wildland Management Area. The fire was fully contained thanks to the good work of the NJFFS crews with help from Friday's rains. I thought that you might like to see the posted photos so I am embedding the July 10th Facebook post from the NJFFS at the end of this e-mail. Nice job and thanks to all NJFFS crews on the ground and in the air along with any mutual aid for working to contain this fire, with the help of Friday's rain.

I want to pause to remind everyone that the New Jersey Forest Fire Service, like any other agency fights a lot of very small fires. In the case of the NJFFS, I believe that wildfires or brush fires can be as small as 1/4 of an acre. I have no statistics to share with on this years fires, but I suspect that there are a lot of smaller fires, by this I mean fires under 10 acres. NJFFS crews work just as hard on these small brush fires as they do on the larger wildfires. I may not know about most of these smaller brush fires, that doesn't matter. I know that you are there working these fires, some of which may have been close to my home. They are doing what they do to keep their residents in New Jersey safe. So, this resident wants to pause and say thank-you NJFFS for keeping us safe.



No comments: