Friday, July 24, 2020

2020 New Jersey wildfire season: a small wildfire in oppressive heat (July 19)

On other occasions I have written here that there are many wildfires in New Jersey and elsewhere in the Mid-Atlantic that I do not know about. I say this again because I want all wildland firefighters in New Jersey and adjoining and near by States to know that I care and rarely a day goes by when I am not thinking of you and saying a quick prayer in my own way that you may be safe.

I am thankful for what the wildland firefighters in the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) and your colleagues in adjoining States do to keep us safe from wildfires. You are the best!

As some of you know, we had some very hot and humid weather in New Jersey this past week, especially Sunday July 19th and Monday July 20th. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 90s with heat indices near or about 105° F. I admit that I may not have been thinking of all of you who are wildland firefighters who may have been out there on that day fighting wildfires, no matter how large or small. This is what you do, you fight wildfires and when you get the call, you put on your gear and assemble your tools and go. During this Covid-19 pandemic, you are also following the safety guidelines set up by your agency.

I suspect that there were several of you in various Mid-Atlantic States who may have been fighting wildfires during the recent very oppressive heat, thank-you! The impetus for this post was reading a post on Facebook by NJFFS Section B10 about a seven-acre that their Section fought on Sunday, July 19th near Monroe Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey. The fire was contained by the end of the day and was likely caused by a fallen  high tension wire. The Monroe Township Fire Department provided Section B10 with assistance in fighting this wildfire. Great work everyone containing this fire by the end of the day. 

As I am neither a wildland firefighter or a structure firefighter I can not know what it is really like to fight a wildfire during oppressive heat or during the winter in the cold and the wind. I write this to again remind you that I always think of wildland firefighters with a thankful heart for fighting wildfires during challenging weather conditions. As well as the conditions posed by larger wildfires. 

No comments: