Tuesday, August 25, 2020

August 19th helicopter fatality: RIP Michael John Fournier

On August 19th, Michael John Fournier died while making bucket drops with his helicopter over the Hills Fire in Fresno County California. The picture and tweet below are from CAL FIRE.

obtained on August 25, 2020 from pic.twitter.com/gZlV9E3cV5

While I am a little late in making this post, my prayers have been with Michael's family, friends, colleagues and all who loved him as they mourn his loss. I was very moved to read an August 20th report on ABC10 San Diego where he flew as a back-up news helicopter pilot. I know that his former colleagues loved him and miss him. Please take a couple of moments to read this article. I can not access the video in the report, happens some times, but there are a couple of photos of Michael. Here is an excerpt:

Timothy Gaughen, a former ABC 10News photojournalist, said working beside Fournier was one of the high points in his career.

"Fast, efficient, fun, it was always great. It was always enjoyable," Gaughen said. "There's certain people you remember from your career. I still remember it as if it was yesterday ... Just a pleasant, pleasant personality."

Gaughen said when it was time to get in the air, Fournier was an absolute professional.

You died flying a wildfire to help the firefighters on the ground. You died saving lives. Your service will not be forgotten, I will remember. I offer my sincere and heartfelt prayers to your family, friends, colleagues, and all who loved you. May you always fly in favorable winds. 


No comments: