Friday, August 07, 2020

Post Isaias in New Jersey - thank-you utility linepersons and treeguys

Three days after Tropical Storm Isaias slammed New Jersey, adjoining states and New England, portions of New Jersey are still without power. I won't get into the details here, most of you have probably seen local or national news reporting on Isaias. 

I took a drive around my part of the State to see if I could find a stopped utility truck to take some photos for you. I passed five on local highway but as I was driving, I was unable to take a photo for you. Then there were about four utility trucks (by the colors of the trucks I think that they were from out of state) that passed my house yesterday, including one that stopped after my power was turned back on. They were making repairs on an outage near my house, necessitating shutting off my power for a little over an hour. I was not thinking nor was a wearing a mask, so I thanked the lineman from a distance, and did not think to ask him if I could take a photo of his truck.

I drove by the staging area a few miles from my house for utility crews. I did enter, wanting to respect Covid restrictions. Covid restrictions probably explained why I did not see utility trucks parked on breaks. 

Just before going home, I did see a utility truck parked at an intersection near an outage that was reported by the local utility. So I grabbed a not so great photo for you. Perhaps later this weekend I will be able to get some more photos for you, or perhaps not.  I know that utility crews have come from out of state to help restore power. There is a lot of tree damage around the state, I saw a lot of downed trees on people's lawns as well as cut-up trees near areas where I knew there were outages. The tree guys have to come first to take care of the trees before the utility linemen can work on restoring power.

I write this and show this not so great photo of just one utility truck as a way of thanking all of the local and out of state crews (utility crews and tree removal crews)who are helping us in New Jersey (and adjoining states) get our power back.  This utility truck is one of hundreds helping us. 

I also want to thank the New Jersey Forest Fire Service Crews who have been working in our parks cutting trees that came down in Isaias.

Thank-you. Thank-you. Thank-you

No comments: