Friday, November 20, 2020

2020 wildfire season: in review through mid-November

Before you watch a short video from The National Interagency Fire Center, I want to share a few reflections on the 2020 wildfire season in the United States.

I have written several times about this devastating wildfire season in the United States, especially in the west. 8.7 million acres have burned. Twelve firefighters lost their lives. I wish I knew the number of civilians, non-firefighters, who lost their lives, but I do not. My heartfelt prayers to the families, friends, and all who loved those that lost their lives -- firefighters and civilians. Let us always remember.

Thousands of homes and businesses have been destroyed. Those who have lost a home and/or a business are left to rebuild once the clean-up is finished. Perhaps some won't go back. For many, their lives won't be the same for a long time. Then there are the emotional scars. Depending on the ecosystem and how badly the soil was burned, the burned landscape may take generations to recover. 

The firefighters on the ground and in the air have worked very hard. My thoughts, prayers, and profound thanks are with all of you. Kudos to you. Your sacrifice won't be forgotten.


Direct link to video from The National Interagency Fire Center

No comments: