Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Reflections: Rebuilding Paradise CA after the Camp Fire

It was been over two year since the Camp Fire destroyed much of Paradise California. 

Direct link to video from National Geographic

I had an opportunity to watch Ron Howard's Rebuilding Paradise last weekend. The film is available on various platforms, I am fortunate to have the National Geographic on my cable so I was able to watch it for free. If you are so inclined and have access through one of the platforms, especially free access, I would recommend watching the film. The film touched me because the focus was on the first year after the Camp Fire and the challenges of the residents in Paradise to rebuild their homes and their town. I was reminded in a way that only a film like this can, that a wildfire such as the Camp Fire or the many wildfires that have decimated California towns this year have severe and sometimes lasting effects on the residents who lost their homes as well those who did not lose their homes but are nonetheless affected by the destruction around them. 

I can say that I care, which is why I write this blog. The film I reminded me that after the wildland fire crews leave, the residents of the affected towns are left with emotional trauma and the visual reminder of seeing the burned areas in their towns as they work to rebuild their homes and their lives, bury their dead, and rebuild their town. The film left me with the uncomfortable awareness that I may have written about the wildland firefighters and the crews who work to clean up the town after the wildfire at the expense of the affected residents. 

As I consider this devastating 2020 wildfire season, which is not over yet in the western United States, I want to pause and say a prayer for all those who have died, those who have lost loved ones, those who lost their homes, and those whose home is still standing but live with the reminder of the wildfire around them. My heart goes out to you. I am sincere in this. I can not say that I know that what you are going through because I do not. But I can say that I care. 



No comments: