Wednesday, March 24, 2021

2021NJ wildfire season: prescribed burning in NJ (March 23rd)

As I write this it is raining over much of New Jersey so if the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS)  had prescribed (Rx) burns on the schedule for today, then I expect that these Rx burns have been postponed. As I have said in other posts on the NJFFS late winter and spring prescribed burning season, I have no special information on these Rx burns, I rely on the NJFFS Facebook page for my information. Before I get to yesterday's prescribed burns, I want to say how very proud I am of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service's prescribed burning program, to read more about the NJFFS prescribed burning program go my March 5th post. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service conducted its first prescribed burn in 1928 (go here for more information). Even if they skipped some years in the 1930s due to the Great Depression or in the early 1940s during World War II, that is a lot of years. I am very proud of the NJFFS prescribed burning program, helping to reduce wildfire risk. I certainly feel safer knowing that there are prescribed burns in my state, in northern New Jersey where I live and across the State. You are setting an example that I hope other States in the U.S. as well as other countries can follow. Keep up the good work.

As for prescribed burns on March 23rd, enjoy this short report from News12 NJ that the NJ Forest Fire Service shared on their Facebook page (embedded below). You will learn about some high school students who are learning about the benefits of prescribed burns through in person observation.



On March 23rd, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service conducted prescribed burns in the following locations (see this March 23rd NJFFS Facebook Post)

DIVISION A (northern NJ)

Hunterdon County 

  • -Kingwood Township - Private Land

Morris County 

  • Chester Township - Black River Wildlife Management Area
  • Madison Borough - Municipal Land

Sussex County 

  • Montague Township - State Land
  • Wantage Township - Private Land

DIVISION B (central NJ)

Ocean County 

  • Jackson Township - Private Land


No comments: