Monday, March 01, 2021

Reflections on wildland firefighting training

I am working on a still developing series of articles looking at how wildland firefighters protect themselves while working a fire, the gear and tools they carry, safety concerns, training, etc. See my recent posts on PPE on an engine crew, the line pack, and hand tools.

What got me started in writing this series is knowing that in many parts of the U.S., it is the time of year where wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air go through their spring training. My regular readers know that I have not know nor have I ever been any kind of firefighter, wildland or structure. So, I can not speak from any kind of personal experience. But I have been doing this blog long enough that training in the classroom and passing physical tests is not just a once and done deal. As I understand, every wildland agency -- federal, state, and local -- have annual recurrency training. The National Wildfire Coordinating Group has information on Wildfire Safety Annual Refresher Training (WFSTAR) that is used by Federal Agencies. This year's Refresher Training (2021) is being done virtually. As I understand it, The Wildfire Safety Annual Refresher Training is also known as RT-130. The requirements for the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs, the National Park Service and RT-130 are found in the Interagency Standards for Fire and Aviation Operations (Red Book), Chapter13. I believe that many state and local wildfire agencies may use a variation of WFSTAR, RT-130 for their refresher training.

My point in this post is to say that I respect the hard work and the sacrifices made by wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air. I can appreciate the need for annual classroom work, field exercises, and physical tests including but not limited to running and carrying a loaded pack on a timed course. Wildland firefighting is physically demanding work so the need to pass physical tests each year is important. Likewise, the classroom work and any field exercises are important as a means of reviewing and reinforcing knowledge as well as learning new fire science and perhaps to be advised of local conditions that may affect local and state wildland firefighters.

I am sorry that I do not have a video to show you at this time. I have looked around and need to keep looking. If I find one that seems appropriate, I will revise this post.

In the meantime, my wish and prayers for all wildland firefighters is to stay safe and know that I appreciate all that you do to keep us safe. Please know that I have a great deal of respect for all wildland firefighters, and it is my intention to try to honor you in writing this blog. 

2 comments:

WFM Assistant said...

Thank you very much for your words! I do not do it for the glory or having the title of a wild land firefighter. I simply do it because just likes nurses and doctors during the pandemic, someone has to do the job and these are my intentions in life. I love my job and will always. The red tape and politics sucks sometimes, but at the end of the day when (like today on a wildfire) a woman was making sandwiches out of the back of her Tahoe in gratitude that we stopped the fire from getting her house...that’s why I do it, for the people that need someone to be there when decisions need to be made. Thanks!

Random Ramblings NJ said...

WFM Assistant, thanks so much for your comment. Thanks again for all that you and other wildland firefighters, on the ground and in the air, do to help us out and keep us safe.