Monday, October 11, 2021

About female wildland firefighters in North Carolina

I wrote last Friday a post in remembrance of the Peshtigo Fire  promising more articles this week. This is a work in progress, as I got into reading about this fire last week, I realized that while this fire may not get the attention it deserves, there more information out there than I originally realized. I got off to a slow start today and I did spend some time researching more information about the Peshtigo Fire. I hope to get back writing about the 1871 Peshtigo Fire later this week or early next week, I promise. 

In the meantime, I do enjoy reading and I read a variety of books including but not limited to either books written by wildland firefighters or novels about wildland firefighting. I would love to find a book written by a female wildland firefigter. So far, I have not found such a book, which does not mean that one does not exist. It just means that I have not found one. I have written some, and perhaps not enough articles on women in wildland firefighting, mostly relying on videos, these posts may be found here. I know that Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today writes about women in wildland firefighting, you may his articles tagged women here. I know that the New Jersey Forest Fire Service has some women on their wildland firefighting crews.

Thanks to the NJFFS Section B10, I found a short video from Fox8 WGHP out of North Carolina about a couple of North Carolina women, Dakota Paris  and Katie Stovall, who are wildland firefighters in North Carolina. As soon as I saw this video, I knew that I wanted to share it with you. 

Direct Link to video on Youtube from WGHP

No comments: