Monday, October 04, 2021

NWS Incident Meteorologists: What they do and what is required

I saw this nice graphic from my friends at the NWS Incident Meteorologists on their social media platforms. As I write this, Facebook is down but Twitter is up, so I am sharing their Tweet. To the best of my knowledge the NWS Incident Meteorologists office posted the same content to both platforms. The post below originated from the NWS Bay Area Weather Forecast Office on September 21st, I suspect that their two IMETs that were deployed on that date to different wildfires may be at or near the end of their deployment. 

Here is a nice short video that I found online, perhaps from the NWS Incident Meteorologists FB page, from the NWS Reno where their IMETs share their experiences working wildfires.




I respect the training that IMETs go through both to become IMETs as well as any recurrent training. I am also interested when I see that IMET trainees are deployed to wildfires. 250 hours of training is impressive and I am glad that they get survival training. It seems from the above graphic that the IMET trainees have to be knowledgeable in 150 tasks with any appropriate sign offs before they become full fledged qualified IMETs. Here are some recent deployments of IMET trainees. If I am correct in my understanding of how this works, IMET trainees are assigned to wildfire where a fully qualified IMET is working where they qualified IMET supervises the trainee. 


No comments: