Friday, March 11, 2011

Flooding in NJ



I heard about flooding in New Jersey earlier this week from a different storm while I was in Florida. When I got back to town late Wednesday night, I heard about yet more floods in New Jersey for Friday into Saturday. Yesterday I gave some thought to what I'd write about today I thought I'd write about the floods as I have written about flooding in NJ and PA on previous occasions.

When I woke up today, I heard the news about the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan. When I saw those pictures of the Tsunami  I had second thoughts. Then I found out that a buddy of mine is in Toyko, thank goodness he is all right but rather shaken up. My buddy knows of the work that I do on this blog. I know exactly, what he would tell me to do if I could talk to him, he would tell me to write about the floods in NJ. Hugh this is for you.

The purple and red markers in the image below show rivers with major and moderate flooding respectively as of 11 PM (obtained from the NWS at about 11 PM on March 12):


A hydrograph from the NWS for the Pompton River at Pompton Plains NJ (referred to in the video) is shown below:


Historical Crests of the Pompton River at Pompton Plains
(1) 24.47 ft on 04/06/1984
(2) 22.78 ft on 03/14/2010
(3) 22.18 ft on 05/30/1968
(4) 21.72 ft on 04/16/2007
(5) 21.00 ft on 09/17/1999

A map of Pompton Plains showing the river gauge where data shown in the hydrograph is shown below:



The worse of the flooding for other rivers in northern New Jersey may not hit until tomorrow and I'll make a follow up post tomorrow.

And let us not forget about all those affected by the Tsunami and the earthquake in Japan.

No comments: