Saturday, March 26, 2011

In rememberance - six die in crash of firefighting helo in Spain

I first heard about the crash of a firefighting helo in Spain, killing six on board, last week from wildfire today. I wanted a little more information before posting a remembrance so I reached out to a Spanish speaking friend who has spent time in Spain. She found an article on the crash in english from El Pais.

The Bell 407 helo crashed into a hillside on March 19 in a remote region of Aragon Spain. There was no bad weather and visibility was good. The crash is under investigation.

According to El Pais, the following firefighters died in the crash:

Ramón Millán Salafranca, 24
Angus Thompson Caminals, 35
Albert B., 38 (pilot)
Rafael A. O., 40
Esteban Javier Galve B. O.
Francisco Javier Galve B. O.

A seventh firefighter, Ángel Aznar (32) survived the crash and was hospitalized with critical injuries.

My condolences go out to the family, friends, colleagues and all those who loved those who died. I pray for Ángel and his family. And for the sad Bell 407. . .

For the people of Spain, I join you as you grieve this tragedy.

May you fly in favorable tail winds.

No comments: