Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reflections as tankers and helos go on contract

I have begun to hear about wildfires cropping up in various parts of the U.S and I have heard rumblings that tankers and helicopters have worked at least a couple of wildfires. However, I don't know any specifics to report to you here. Don't worry, that time will come. I am sure.

As I am now in my third year of writing about aerial wildland firefighting tankers of various sizes along with helos are beginning to go on federal or state contracts. Pilots and co-pilots who aren't on contract are going through their annual training and check rides. Aircraft are being made ready for the season and their inspection prior to the start of the season. Some tankers and helos are already on federal or state contract. Or will be soon. Here in NJ our SEATs go on contract soon for our spring fire season. Fire season is already under way down south.

I wondered the P-2s and P-3s that are starting to go on contract. A couple of weeks ago, there was no 2011 list available, now there is, you may go here to get a copy. I saw that there are already five or six P-2s and P-3s on contract.

As I prepared to write this article, I found myself thinking about how much I care about all who are involved in aerial wildland firefighting both in the U.S. and abroad. Those of you who follow my blog know that I write about other things, but my raison d'etre is about tankers and helos fighting fires from the air. So, for all of you in the world of aerial of aerial wildland firefighting from pilots to co-pilots to loaders to base personal to mechanics to base gofers to dispatchers and to anyone I am missing, this blog is for you.

I can not fly a plane, and even if I could, I could not fly a tanker or a firefighting helo. I learn about aviation because I am finding that aviation is and always part of who I am. But I also do this for all of you, in hopes that I can bring what I learn about aviation to my writing to better honor all of you in the tanker and helo business. And to bring my readers into your world. At least in the way that I can.

I wish all of you pilots and co-pilots safe flying and favorable winds. Favorable winds in more ways than one. I know that you do what you do support the crews on the ground and to keep all of us safe from wildfires.

To the public, if you wonder where the tankers are and the winds are squirrelly or you can't see because of smoke or fog, then the tankers are not flying because it is not safe for them to fly.

Distance constrains me from being out west on the tanker bases in the public viewing areas watching you work. Perhaps I'll get to one of the tanker bases here in NJ this fire season to watch. Nonetheless, be assured that I am with you all in my own way through my meditations and words.

Safe flying in favorable winds everyone.

No comments: