Sunday, March 13, 2011

NJ Flooding - Rivers crested - update 1

To the best of my knowledge, all the rivers in New Jersey where some level of flooding was a concern (after two significant rain storms in the last week) have crested. However, in some cases rivers will continue to be at moderate or major flooding levels for at least the next couple of days. I obtained the images that I am posting here from the National Weather Service's Midatlantic River Forcasting Center on Sunday afternoon, March 13. Note that some of the information on this site reflects current information. So, if you go there in two weeks, you may not see any of the data that I am referring to here. This is why I am posting these images.

Here is an image showing current flooding observations (3/13/2011). You will see that there are two locations - noted in purple experiencing major flooding. Both involve the Passaic River, the two locations are referring to flooding recorded by gauges, one in Little Falls and the second in Pine Brook. I have noted each location with a placemarker. You will also see a placemarker for Pompton Plains, which I wrote about the other day.


First an update on the location in Pompton Plains, specifically the Pompton River. You will see from the hydrograph copied below that the Pompton River crested sometime during the late afternoon or evening of March 11, 2011. As I write this, the Pompton River has currently receded to the action stage and is forecast to go to levels below the action stage sometime late in the day on March 14 before receding to the action stage this Wednesday, March 16. I'll try to see if I can get some information for you about how folk in Pompton Plains are making out.


Things are not quite so rosy for the Passaic River at Little Falls and Pine Brook. You can see from the two hydrographs (below) that while the gauges at both locations show that the River crested sometime late last night, flooding is forecast to continue for awhile longer. In the case of Little Falls, the River is forecast to fall below the major flooding stage later today or in the wee hours of March 13 before receding to the action level sometime on Wed. March 16.

In the case of the Passaic River at Pine Brook, it is forecast to remain at major flooding levels until sometime tomorrow afternoon March 13, but is forecast to remain at or near moderate flooding levels on Wed. March 16.




I suspect that what this means for the folk in areas of Little Falls and Pine Brook is that it may be awhile before they can begin to assess the damages caused by yet more flooding. I'll report back in a day or so with an update. I don't have any videos taken today to show you, that may have to wait until tomorrow. But I did find an article on The Record (North Jersey) with more information. Please note that I'm uncertain how long this article will be available to the public.

No comments: