Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pine Island Cranberry Bogs 1 of 2

Pine Island Cranberries has 1,400 acres of cranberry bogs and has been in busy for over 100 years. You have already seen some pictures of the bog when I posted some still photo and video compilations of a Downstown Air Tractor 602 and on October 29 I wrote about one of Downstown's Ag Cats applying dry fertilizer to Pine Island Cranberry Bogs. I want to include some information on Pine Island's Cranberry harvest by linking to some of their blog articles, known as the Pine Island Scoop.

Before I do that, I should say that as I write this we in NJ are waiting for the arrival of Hurricane Sandy and whatever she will bring to the Mid-Atlantic. In early September, Hurricane Issac brushed southern NJ bringing 18 inches of rain to Pine Island Cranberry Bogs. They wrote about the clean-up and repairs in articles on September 7 and September 14.

I thought that you might be interested in reading about about Pine Island's Cranberry harvest in the words of Pine Island's blogger(s):

harvest begins
harvest is about teamwork
water harvesting
gathering

I am writing this article ahead of time for automatic posting on October 31 in case power and/or internet outages keep me from posting. If you are reading this then I am unable to get on the internet and make any revisions to the article to reflect current events. as pertains to Hurricane Sandy.

Next up: Pine Island's packing houses

No comments: