Monday, November 01, 2021

Australia 2021-22 wildfire season

It is funny how things work out. There are a couple of things that have been percolating in the back of mind that I hope that I will be able to write about. One is wildfires that burned in Michigan from 1870 into the early years of the twentieth century. I have requested a book from my library on interlibrary loan devoted to these wildfires. I have no idea how long this request will take to be fulfilled or even if it will be fulfilled. 

The second is something that I will write about today. That is, as we in the northern climes of the United States will soon be getting ready for winter, Australia is entering Spring and Summer and their 2021-22 bushfire season. I pay special attention to New South Wales because I have some distant relatives who live in New South Wales. When I was poking around on YouTube just now for videos on the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, I was very interested to see a video report from 7News Australia that New South Wales will have two Blackhawk Helicopters added to their fleet of firefighting aircraft for bush fire emergencies this bush fire season. 

Bill Gabbert of Fire Aviation reported on October 18th on aerial firefighting assets in Australia. Bill mentions that two Blackhawks will be on contract in New South Wales from October 1st for 120 days. I am not quite sure if the two Blackhawks discussed in the News7 report below are the same ones that Bill discusses in his article, but Bill is very through so I assume that they are one and the same,


Direct link to video from News7 Australia on YouTube

No comments: