Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Fatal SEAT crash in Colorado (November 16th)

 Fairly early this morning, I read about the fatal crash of Single Engine Air Tanker on Tuesday evening while fighting the Kruger Rock Fire southeast of Estes Park in Colorado. The pilot, the only occupant, was killed. Knowing that Bill Gabbert of Fire Aviation would be on top of this, I went to Fire Aviation (November 16th article) for more information. The SEAT, an Air Tractor 802 is owned by CO Fire Aviation and was recently configured for night flying; the SEAT may have been making its first flight at night to fly a fire. You will want to read Bill's article for more information about the SEAT and its night flying capabilities.

I just checked Denver media, Denver7 who apparently just updated their reporting on the crash to reflect that the name of the pilot who died, Thor Olsen. Mr. Olsen was a 32-year pilot who had some 1,000 hours in night flying with night vision goggles. According to Denver7, the Kruger Rock Fire has burned 140 acres. At the time that I write this, Bill Gabbert has not updated Fire Aviation identifying Thor Olsen as the pilot who died in the fatal crash.

I offer my condolences to Mr. Olsen's family, friends, colleagues, and all who loved him. My he and the SEAT always fly in favorable winds.

No comments: