Wednesday, May 18, 2022

2022 wildfire season: Bemis Fire - White Mountains (Crawford Notch) NH

I spent summer vacations in northeastern Vermont for years and we would drive to the White Mountains in New Hampshire at least every other year, if not every year. While I am not intimately familiar with Crawford Notch, I have driven down Route 302 through Crawford Notch, a beautiful drive. I have not hiked in Crawford Notch but have taken a couple of hikes up half-way up Mt. Washington from Pinkham Notch. That was 25 to 30 years ago when I was younger and with healthier knees. 

When I first heard about the Bemis Fire in Crawford Notch late last weekend, I took notice. The Bemis Fire was first reported on Saturday, May 14. What was believed to be one fire is in fact three fires, It has burned approximately 106 acres. See this article from The Union Leader (May 17th).

Obtained on May 19, 2022 from https://www.facebook.com/WhiteMountainNF/posts/383119587189061

Here is an update, dated May 18th, from the White Mountain National Forest. No structures are threatened. The fire is at approximately 45 percent containment in a steep and rugged area. Winds are gusting to 38 mph today, rain is forecast for tomorrow.


Thank-you firefighters, stay safe.

No comments: