Friday, May 13, 2022

2022 wildfire season: Coastal Fire (Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA)

I am writing about the Coastal Fire which has burned at least 200 acres in Laguna Niguel (Orange County, California) because I heard that a friend of a friend lives in or near Laguna Niguel. My friend wanted to know where to get more information about the Coastal Fire, so I told them about the CAL FIRE incident page on the Coastal Fire (last updated on May 12th) and about Bill Gabbert's Wildfire Today where Bill has a nice article about the Coastal Fire. Bill does excellent reporting on wildfires including nice maps, I recommend you follow him if you are interested in wildfire news. I understand from Bill's article and other reporting that I have seen that there are evacuations in place and at least 20 residences have been destroyed and one firefighter was injured.

I am reminded that even a more moderate sized fire can affect people and destroy homes. I thank all the wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air who are working this fire. I am thinking of all those who are under evacuation orders, some will go back to find their homes destroyed. 

I am reminded that with the dry conditions in California and elsewhere in the western United States that wildfires such as the Coastal Fire will occur. At this time it may too early to know how large the Coastal Fire will be before it is contained. 

Here are two video reports from Los Angeles TV Stations dated May 13th.


direct link to video on Youtube from CBS Los Angeles



direct link to video on YouTube from KTLA

No comments: