Monday, July 11, 2022

2022 wildfire season: Washburn Fire (Yosemite) update #1

 

I suspect that some of you already know about the Washburn Fire from your local media, national media, and or social media. As I write this, the Washburn Fire has burned 2,340 acres in Yosemite National Park and is 0 percent contained. I liked the video report from CBS News that I have embedded here, but I never know how long the embed code will work. They report that up to five percent of all Giant Sequoias in the State of California may have been burned in recent wildfires, an estimated 75,000 Giant Sequoias. I am sharing the latest update, July 11th, on the Washburn fire from Twitter. Inciweb has a page for the Washburn Fire, but I have been unable to access Inciweb for much of the day.


I am writing this post because I know that the Washburn Fire could threaten the Giant Sequoias in the Mariposa Grove section of Yosemite. Like many of you, I love trees and thought I have never seen the Giant Sequoias, I am awed by these magnificent old trees. Here is a nice July 11th article from New York Times article (paywall hopefully removed through July 21st) on the threat to the Giant Sequoias from the Washburn Fire and efforts being made to save them: "Emergency responders are “proactively protecting” the giant trees by removing fuels such as dead trees and using sprinkler systems to increase humidity on the ground, the Yosemite fire management office said on Sunday. Firefighters were also using bulldozers to clear vegetation that was feeding the wildfire, The Associated Press reported." Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today has done a great job reporting on the Washburn Fire, including his wonderful mapping (with the location of the Gian Sequoia Groves in relation to the fire) that may be found here. You might also want to check out KPIX, CBS in San Fransico, one of the local media outlets reporting on the Washburn Fire.

I write this out of love and respect for our precious Giant Sequoias that are again threatened by wildfires and I want you to know that I am paying attention and I care. I want to thank all the wildland firefighters on the ground, in the air, along with park officials working to keep the Giant Sequoias safe for all of your hard work to protect our natural resources and also to protect the public from the Washburn Fire. On my next trip to the west coast, when ever that is, I hope to make time to see the Giant Sequoias in person while I still can.

No comments: