Monday, July 25, 2022

CL-415 Water Bombers in Newfoundland and Labrador Canada

One of my areas of interest is learning more about Canada. Recently because of an acquaintance whose family is traveling in a remote section of Newfoundland, I began exploring this province on Google Earth. I find this an interesting exercise while knowing that I am limited by not being there in person. Anyway, when I heard that the travelers are in a remote area of Newfoundland with only one road into the village where they are staying, I got curious. Last night I found that this road was closed because of a wildfire or forest fire.

It did not take me long to learn that the wildfire or forest fire that peaked my interest is the Bay d'Espoir Highway Fire. According to a report from the CBC (Monday, July 25th) the Bay d'Espoir Highway (Route 360) is the only road to access the Cannaigre Peninsula in Newfoundland. (read this July 24th CBC article for more information about the road closure). Officials expect the highway to be closed through at least Monday evening. As I write this, the Bay d'Espoir Highway Fire (Fire #139) has burned 540 hectares or 1,334.37 acres and is not contained. I obtained fire information from the Active Forest Fires page (appears to be updated daily) of the Newfoundland Labrador Department of Fisheries Forestry and Agriculture, they also have a twitter account which may be found here. The other current 2022 forest fires listed on the Active Forest Fires page are:

  • Fire 135, Conway Lake reported on July 23, 1.4 hectares
  • Fire 136 Paradise Lake reported on July 24 , 610 hectares
  • Fire 137 Triton Brook/Deer Pond reported on July 24, 29.7 hectares
  • Fire 138 Newton Lake reported on July 24, estimated size to be determined
  • Fire 139 Bay d'Espoir Highway reported on July 24, 510 hectares
  • Fire 140 Newton Lake West reported on July 25, estimated size to be determined

The twitter link from the Newfoundland Labrador Dept of Fisheries, Forestry, and Agriculture includes a map. However, I am not knowledgeable enough about the geography to include a correct image from Google Earth, sorry about that. But you will get an idea of where some of the forest fires are in relation to each other.

When I read in the Active Forest Fires page about the use of water bombing aircraft to work this forest fire, I wanted to see if I could find some videos of Newfoundland Labrador's water bombing aircraft on YouTube to share with you. I do not know if the Province contracts for these aircraft or if they own the aircraft outright. I did find some short videos that I will share with you. The first three short videos are of Canadair CL-415 water bombers working a small forest fire that burned on or about July 17th in Newfoundland. 

The first video is a YouTube short from Colin Lane, there does not seem to be any embed code, but here is a direct link to the video on YouTube.

Here are two more short videos, both under one minute, of  a Newfoundland Labrador CL-415 working the July 17th forest fire. Both videos are from the Newfoundland First Responders.

Direct link to video from Newfoundland First Responders on Youtube


Direct link to video from Newfoundland First Responders on Youtube


The final video, again of a Newfoundland Labradour CL-415 ,was shot in 2020. You will see a CL-415 landing at Gandor International Airport.


No comments: