Friday, July 29, 2022

Drought conditions in the Northeastern United States (July 28th)

 
















While not nearly as extreme as drought conditions in portions of the Southwestern and Western United States, drought conditions are worsening in the Northeastern United States. As you know, an increase in drought conditions means an increase in wildfire danger, I share first the map for May 31st for the Northeastern United States from the U.S. Drought Monitor. Note the abnormally dry and moderate dry conditions in New England with a portion of western New York, and smaller sections of southern New Jersey and West Virginia being abnormally dry. I can attest to at least a more normal rainfall in my little corner of Northwest New Jersey.

















Bring June on and by the end of June I can also attest that the rain faucet in my little corner of Northwest New Jersey ceased to barely a trickle. As you can see, the July 5th map of the Northeast from the U.S Drought Monitor shows that more of New Jersey, including portions of Northwest New Jersey were abnormally dry. Meanwhile abnormally conditions spread in western New York. Finally abnormally dry and moderate conditions spread in New England
















As most of you know we experienced a string of hot and humid weather with many areas of New Jersey receiving little or no rainfall through July 26th. I was not surprised to see that portions of Northwestern New Jersey are no in moderate drought. As for what next week's maps have in store for my portion of New Jersey, time will tell. I can say that I saw some more significant rainfall this week but am uncertain what the rest of moderate drought stricken areas of New Jersey received. Time will tell. In the meantime, I am trying to be both wildfire aware and do my part to reduce the increased wildfire risk from recent drought conditions.  I no longer smoke and have little if any reason to park on a pile of leaves, and am not aware that my car is dragging a muffler or the like. I am also trying to conserve water as I can and judiciously water a tree and a shrub that are especially stressed after a week of hot weather with almost not rain through July 26th. I am hoping that the rain I got on July 27th and 28th does not leave me feeling cocky and letting my guard down. As I am sure is the case in other states in the Northeast affected by worsening drought conditions, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service has imposed outdoor fire restrictions. I am also aware that we in the Northeast are not facing the very extreme years long drought conditions in portions of the Southwestern and Western United States.




No comments: