Wednesday, July 13, 2022

2022 wildfire season: Washburn Fire (Yosemite) update #2

I continue to monitor the Washburn Fire because of my interest in the Giant Sequoias, an interest that I am sure are shared by many of you. As I write this, Inciweb is reporting that the fire has burned 3,772 acres and it appears that there is some progress in containment, although that can always change. I continue to see coverage of the Washburn Fire in national media such as CNN. I turn to Bill Gabbert's Wildfire Today when I am interested in a particular fire, I was not disappointed. In a July 12th article, updated early on July 13th he reports that the fire is likely human caused: 

Yosemite Superintendent Cicely Muldoon said the fire was caused by humans.

“As you all know there was no lightning on that day so it is a human start,” Muldoon said Monday night. “It’s under investigation. That’s all I can say about that right now. We’re looking at that really hard.”

More important for my purposes, Bill reported on the current status of the Giant Sequoias in the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite: 

Approximately 340 acres of the blaze is within the Mariposa grove of giant sequoias, some of which are close to 3,000 years old. The more than 500 mature giant sequoias are adjacent to heavy fuels and have so far avoided serious damage from the fire, the National Park Service reported Tuesday.

Of course conditions in the world of wildland fires can change. If there is a change in threats to the Giant Sequoias, I will let y'all know.

 

 

No comments: