Monday, November 28, 2022

Reflections: 2016 Chimney2Fire Gaitlinburg Tennesse

There is hardly a day that passes when I do not about wildland fires on the ground with the support of aviation resources. Today is no exception. While I often think about areas in California that have seen major wildfires this time of year, in part due to the Santa Anna winds, wildfires can happen elsewhere. I recall the Chimney2 Fire that burned over 17,000 acres killing 14 people in the Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and Gatlinburg Tennessee, see my December 2 and December 5, 2016 articles. Today I pause and remember all those who died in that fire, those who lost homes, and the wildland firefighters on the ground supported by aviation resources.

On a personal note, I have not been the Great Smokeys in Tennessee, but I have been the Great Smokies in western North Carolina and can appreciate the rough terrain and the challenges this terrain poses to wildland firefighters.

Direct link to article from WBIR Channel 10

No comments: