Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Cranberry operations in the NJ Pine Barrens revisited


Happy Thanksgiving a day early. For those of you who are planning to travel this holiday weekend, I wish you safe travels. Many of you will be having a Turkey dinner that will include cranberries. New Jersey has some cranberry bogs in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Perhaps some of the cranberries that you will have tomorrow were grown in New Jersey. The video I shared above was shot by New York Live two years ago focusing on the Pine Island Cranberry growers.

Just over ten years ago, the folk at Downstown Aero Crop Services invited me down to their strip near Chatsworth NJ where they were spraying near by cranberry bogs where in addition to seeing Downstown's Ag aviation operations. In addition, I visited two nearby cranberry growers: Pine Island and Lee Brothers. On October 26, 2012 I shared a video compilation of still photos and a short video of Ag Cats that Downstown owned at the time taking off and then spraying the Pine Island cranberry bogs. In honor of New Jersey cranberries, I am sharing my October 2012 compilation again.


Direct link to video on YouTube

In my October 31, 2012 I wrote the first of two posts about Pine Island's cranberry operations, in part one I shared links to a Pine Island Blog where they wrote of their cranberry operations (the links are still working as I write this ten years later). I posted my second article about Pine Island on November 2, 2012, focusing on their packing house. Finally on November 5, 2012 I shared some photos I took at Lee Brothers (near Speedwell NJ).

No comments: