Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Atmospheric River Event in Western U.S.: January 4th & 5th Update

January 5th, 3:28 PM

I was not surprised to see a report a January 4th report from CBS Sacramento -- with thanks to my friends from NJFFS Section B10 for sharing the video today -- about the concern that there may be debris flows from this atmospheric river event that could impact recent burn scars. In addition, there will be road closures and high winds could lead to power outages. Rock slides and road washouts remain a concern

Direct link to video from CBS Sacramento on YouTube


January 5th, 9:32 AM EST

I woke up today with news from Fox Weather of the atmospheric river event overnight on January 4th to 5th, two more people have died, including an infant, see this January 5th article from Fox Weather for more information. See also this article (with ongoing updates) from NBC Bay Area and a January 5th update from CapRadio (NPR afflilate) in Sacramento. Flood and high wind warnings continue in northern California along with power outages. The Governor has issued a state of emergency for California.

I am sharing more graphics from the Weather Forecast Office in Sacramento, CA

Obtained on January 5, 2023 from the Weather Forecast Office in Sacramento, CA

Obtained on January 5, 2023 from the Weather Forecast Office in Sacramento, CA


 

January 4th, 8:02 AM EST

I am following up on the post I wrote yesterday on the forecasted atmospheric river event on January 4th and 5th in California. I have been following the Weather Forecast Office in Sacramento, CA, and I understand that this atmospheric river event will impact other areas in California outside of the Sacramento area. I will be posting updates to this atmospheric river event to this post.

I went to the webpage for the WFO in Sacramento to get an update on their forecast, I saw this graphic, that I am sharing below. Note the concern for debris flows in recent burn scars.

Obtained on January 4, 2023 from the Weather Forecast Office in Sacramento, CA


No comments: