Friday, January 27, 2023

RIP Bill Gabbert

I began this blog in 2006 and started to use this blog to explore my then new interest in wildfires in the later months of 2008. In early 2009, thanks to a couple of friends I met who took an interest in me and my explorations in wildfires, I began to learn more about how airplanes are used to fight wildfires. I believe it was sometime in early 2009 that I first learned of Bill Gabbert's Wildfire Today and knew that he had been a wildland firefighter. It was about three years later that Bill began Fire Aviation

Bill Gabbert passed away in his sleep on January 14th, his family started a tribute wall where you can go and read his obituary and offer a tribute. While Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation are near the top of my list of go-to places to get up to date news on the news of current wildfires, current news affecting the wildfire community, and fire aviation, as sometimes happens I went a few days where I had not read either website. So, I only learned some what belatedly that Bill had passed. 

I did know that there were fewer posts in the later days of November 2022 and a couple of posts by guest writers in the first week of December. I thought it some what odd because Bill rarely let a day go by without posting either on Wildfire Today or Fire Aviation. I learned the reason from this December 9th on Wildfire Today; Bill had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October 2022. His illness progressed and he knew his condition was incurable. I made a brief about Bill's diagnosis and the changes in Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation on December16th. As evidenced by the Wildfire Today and the Fire Aviation sites, Bill was deeply committed to the wildfire community and wanted the two sites to continue, so he gave the rights to both sites to the International Association of Wildland Fire. Those of you who have not read the December 9th post on Wildfire Today -- also posted on Fire Aviation around the same time -- may want to read that article for more information on the transition.

I had no idea that Bill would pass so quickly, so I admit that I was caught unawares when I learned that Bill had passed. When I first learned of Wildfire Today I went there frequently to learn from Bill about how wildfires are fought and also to learn about the wildland firefighting community, both those on the ground and in the air as well as those behind the scenes. I am very grateful for Bill's writing offering me a chance to learn from someone who had been a wildland firefighter. As time went on I relied more and more on Wildfire Today, not only for Bill's writing and his point of view but also because he had access to information and people in the wildfire community that I did not have. In addition, I grew to appreciate that Bill was (and is) very well respected by the members of the larger wildfire community.

When he started Fire Aviation in 2012, I read that site as well and while my interest in the use of aerial resources to help the firefighters on the ground fight wildfires, I knew early on that I could learn more about fire aviation from Bill. I marveled at his ability to distill the changes in tanker and helicopter (U.S.) federal contracts. Not only to distill this information which was at times complicated, but to provide data and tables which this geek loved. I loved the photos and videos that he shared.

I was never a wildland firefighter nor was I ever a structure firefighter. I have never been a pilot. I understand what that means. I will always be grateful to Bill's writing for giving me a peek into the wildland firefighting community which I could not have otherwise. I may not be a member of the wildland firefighting community but be assured that I care passionately about what all of you in the wildland firefighting do, thanks to Bill for allowing my to observe.

Thank-you Bill for all you taught me over the years. I will miss you and your unique style. I know that the International Association of Wildland Fire will continue what you started with Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation, I have enjoyed their articles and look forward to reading more as time goes on. Over the years, I have seen some sites that were on my go-to list disappear, and thanks to you giving the rights to both sites to the International Association of Wildland Fire, both sites and your legacy will continue.

I offer my condolences to his family, and all in the wildfire community and beyond who love Bill. 


No comments: