Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Atmospheric River Event in Western U.S.: Thoughts on January 10th

I was busy this morning sitting at my local auto dealership's service department waiting while my car was being serviced. It was not until early this afternoon that I was able to find out what has been going on in much of California after last nights atmospheric river event, see my January 9th article for more information. For example. I checked out the coverage on the Weather Channel, specifically their January 10th article with updates on the storm as well as a photo gallery.

Matthew Cappucci, Andrew Jeong, and Scott Dance from the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang continue to report on the storms in California in a January 10th article, "California storm triggers more floods, tornado warnings as death toll climbs."

I have to admit that after looking at a lot of articles and photos reporting on the loss of life, flooding  damaging houses, rock slides and mud flows closing roads, power outages, on going evacuations, etc. that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and at a loss for words. I am reflecting on what to say tomorrow. I write this to let y'all know that I am paying attention to the atmospheric rivers affecting much of California. I offer my thoughts and prayers to all affected by today's atmospheric river event and those over the last few days. I'd like to thank the Meteorologists at the NWS Weather Forecast Offices in Hanford/San Joaquin Valley, San Francisco and Sacramento who took a few minutes out of their busy day to talk to me about the atmospheric river event affecting their forecast area, helping me to get a clearer idea of what is going on as I prepare to write tomorrow's article.

Note: I subscribe to the Washington Post and as a subscriber I can gift ten articles a month for ten days free access (which will run out on January 20th). It is my intention to use one of my gift articles to share the January 10th article by Cappucci, Jeong, and Dance with you so you don't have to worry about a paywall. I hope this works out.


No comments: