Friday, August 11, 2023

2023 Wildfire Season: Update on Maui Wildfires (August 11)


Direct link to video from The Washington Post on Youtube

I wrote about the wildfires in Maui on August 10th, and I continue to follow these fires. I found an update on the current status of the fires in Maui courtesy of the good reporting of CNN:

  • current death toll is 55, numbers expected to climb when emergency workers go into burnt structures.
  • Thousands of people are evacuated from their homes and businesses, including both residents and tourists.
  • The historic town of Lhaina on Maui is "all gone" per the Maui County Mayor.
  • The wildfire that devastated Lhaina is currently at 80 percent containment
  • Power outages and disruptions in communications are continuing.
This just in (August 11th, 4:40 PM) On a slightly busier than normal afternoon I just checked in with Wildfire Today to see what they posted today. In today's post on WildfireToday, August 11th, 'Opinion: Maui fire shows that Hawaii paradise was a dream', Wildfire Today references an opinion piece by Naka Nathaniel, an opinion columnist for Honolulu Civil Beat, linking to an opinion piece he wrote on CNN. I found Nathaniel's piece very illuminating and I learned something, I hope that you take a few moments to read it.

I found an excellent video from Fox Weather (uploaded on or about August 10th) discussing the meteorological factors that contributed to the wildfires. There is also some footage of photos before and after the wildfire. 



No comments: