Monday, August 07, 2023

Three firefighters dead in mid-air collision over Cabazon Fire in Riverside County, CA

I am very saddened to learn of the mid-air collision of two helicopters over the Cabazon Brush Fire in Riverside California early in the evening of August 6th. I learned of this mid-air collision from my friends at NJ Forest Fire Service Section B10 who post wildfire videos each day. According to the KCAL News video report that I embedded, three occupants on board a contract Bell Helicopter that was reported to be doing observation over the fire died, names have not been released: CAL Fire Division Chief, CAL Fire Air Captain, and the pilot of the Bell. The other helicopter involved in the mid-air is a Sikorsky SkyCrane that may have been dropping water on the fire, the SkyCrane landed and the two occupants survived. A report from CBS News in Los Angeles (with the video I embedded) may be found here. In addition, you will want to check out Fire Aviation's coverage of the mid-air posted on August 7th.

I offer my prayers to the families, colleagues, friend, CAL Fire, and all who loved those who died in the crash, may they always fly in favorable winds. I also offer my prayers for the two occupants of the Sikorsky SkyCrane who survived the crash.


Direct link to video from KCAL News on YouTube

No comments: