Wednesday, August 16, 2023

New Jersey Forest Fire Service: Catfish Fire Tower


Back when my knees were in better shape I did a lot of day hiking in and near the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on sections of the Appalachian Trail as well as other trails. One of my favorite trails was the loop up to the Catfish Fire Tower is a moderate hike up the ridge via a loop trail, go here to access a trail map and description of the trails. The ridge is beautiful and I recommend the hike to the Catfish Fire Tower (aka Fire Lookout Towers) and beyond. While it has been years since I hiked that trail, I have clear memories of seeing the Fire Tower from the trail. It is awesome.

The Catfish Fire Tower is one of several Fire Towers operated by the NJ Forest Fire Service to detect wildfires. You can see from the NJFFS map of NJ Forest Fire Service Lookout Tower Locations that all three NJFFS Divisions are well represented by Fire Lookout Towers.

Obtained on August 16, 2023 from https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/fire/docs/towerlocations.pdf





No comments: