Monday, April 07, 2014

Devious Mount Wildfire -- NJ Pine Barrens -- midday update

I wrote about the Devious Mount Wildfire a few hours ago, here.

My friends from the  New Jersey Forest Fire Service Section B10 website are reporting that as of 1230 hours (April 6), the Devious Mount Wildfire remains at 1,500 acres and is now 50 percent contained and 30 percent controlled. A nice report from Lisa Rose of the Star Ledger on the wildfire may be found here. The video that I embed below accompanies the Lisa Rose's article, this is a view of the fire from the Garden State Parkway.



As I write this rain is moving into Southern New Jersey which I understand will overspread the whole State as well as adjoining areas by this evening. I am hoping that this rain will only help the wildland firefighting crews contain and then control the fire. I'll write another update later this evening. In the meantime, I used Google Earth to get the following image for you showing you an approximate location of the fire (currently burning in Wharton State Forest) and the rain (in green) moving in (click on the map to enlarge it for better viewing). 






No comments: