Sunday, April 27, 2014

New Major Fire in NJ - Degolia Fire

I got back from a morning out and when I got back I had messages waiting for my from my friends at the New Jersey Forest Fire Service Section B10 webpage and Downstown Aero about a new major fire burning west of Atison Lake in the Wharton State Forest in Burlington County, NJ (Section C6, on the B1 border).

My friends at Downstown Aero told me in an e-mail time stamped 10:54 AM today that Charlie 1 (Air Tractor 602 (600 gallons) was working the fire, and a few minutes later reported that about 200 acres were involved (perhaps after expected back firing operations?). In addition they report that a helo with a bucket and an observation helo have been requested.

My friends at the New Jersey Forest Fire Service Section B10 webpage have an update about the Degolia Fire updated at 1400 hours say that an observation helo and two 450 bulldozers have been requested. They also report that two tankers are working the fire (Charlie 1 - Air Tractor 602 and Charlie 2 - Turbo Cat 400 gallons). They do not report any size info, but say that after burnout operations are completed, the fire is expected to be a major fire. The fire is in a remote area.

After doing a quick check of some Philadelphia media outlets, I am not yet aware of any media coverage. As I obtain more information about this fire, I'll report back and update this thread.

So as not to confuse, I'll wait to get more information on the Degolia Fire before I make more posts about last weeks fires.

For my friends working the fire, stay safe and thanks for all you do to keep us safe here in New Jersey.

Updated April 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM EDT
Downstown Aero just posted a couple of aerial photos of the Degolia Fire on their Facebook page (about 2:45 PM EDT today. They also report that  Delta 7 (Huey helicopter with a bucket) and Delta 2 (Jet Ranger observation helicopter) are working the Delgolia Fire. No update on the size of the fire. In an e-mail, my friends from Downstown Aero tell me that only Charlie 1 (Air Tractor 602, 600 gallons) is working the fire, Charlie 2 is on standby for other Division C fires.

Update April 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM EDT
Two media outlets in Philadelphia reporting on this fire: ABCNews6 and NBC10. Both news outlets are reporting that the fire has burned about 250 acres and that the size could grow to 500 acres after backburning operations are complete.

I could be wrong, but I think that the fire is burning near the Burlington County/Camden County border. At the moment, I'm not quite sure what County the fire is located in.

Thanks to my friends from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service Section B10 webpage who helped me with my geography. The Degolia Fire is burning in Camden County near the border with Burlington County. It is a Division C Fire. Section C6 (Camden County) is being assisted by Section B1 (from nearby Burlington County).

Update April 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM EDT
According to my friends at Downstown Aero, the fire has burned about 750 acres as of 3:30 PM this afternoon.

Update April 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM EDT
A nice story and video from NBC10 in Philadelphia on the Delgolia Fire. I am going to embed the video here (I don't know how long the embed the code work). According to the NBC10 report, the fire is about 30 percent contained at about 800 acres.


No comments: