Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A visit to NJFFS Air Attack Base at Aeroflex-Andover-pt 1


I finally made it to the New Jersey Forest Fire Service Air Attack Base at Aeroflex-Andover  the Air Attack Base for Division A of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service. That is my Division folks. They are really nice people and I had a great time. I spent a couple of hours there on a nice spring day. Oh, by the way, I drove. About an hour one way, not too bad all things considering. 

Before I begin, I want you to meet Orville in the photos below. Orville is the airport cat, and a good mouser. He is a real sweet and friendly cat, coming up to greet me. As you can see, he posed for me. I feel like I made a new friend in Orville.

Orville posing in front of the NJ Forest Fire Service Air Attack Base Office

Orville



Unless something comes up, I'll be posting a few articles based on my trip to the Air Attack Base over the next few posts. Today I'm going to start with some photos of the Turbo-Cat.

There were three Ag-Cats on base today, the Turbo-Cat was not in service as her pilot had the day off. Instead, I got to spend some time with Joe, whom I met last year. In the two photos below, the Turbo-Cat is on the far end.  Joe flew up in one of G-164-A (Radial) Ag-Cats.

Downstown Aero converted one of their G-164-A Ag-Cats to Turbine over the winter. They purchased a conversion kit and a turbine (Pratt & Whitney PT6A-28  680 hp) engine and did the conversion in their shop. Everything from the firewall forward is new. The new fuel tank is slightly bigger, 120 gallons compared with 80 gallons in the G-164-A  Ag-Cats. And the hopper (also new) capacity is 400 gallons. Another nice feature is that there is a bottom loading fuel system. Joe tells me that they can refuel the plane and load water at the same time, saving a little time. The cockpit steam gauges have been replaced with a glass cockpit. There is a new drop spray boom system coupled to the new Ag Nav GPS. The plane has been repainted inside and out with.

Ag-Cats at the NJFFS Division A Air Attack Base, Turbo-Cat on far end

Ag-Cats at the NJFFS Division A Air Attack Base, Turbo-Cat on far end
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Turbo-Cat
Fuel loading (labeled with Jet A fuel) and water loading at bottom of Turbo-Cat

No comments: