Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Today's wildfire news in and environs


I want to write what will have to be a brief update on recent brush fire activity in NJ/PA/NY. I have to cut this short because I want to get this posted before a squall line and the attendant thunderstorms pass through my area in a little while. You understand. Stay safe everyone!

Brush fire in Hackensack Meadowlands near the New Jersey Turnpike. This is not a primary response area of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS but the NJFFS does provide mutual aid if the municipal firefighters request their help. I do not know if the affected municipalities requested aid from the NJFFS for these fires. As someone who used to live one of these towns, I can attest to periodic brush fires in the Meadowlands that can be challenging to fight because the terrain can be difficult to access.

Report from News 12 NJ on busy fire season in NJ (this may not be publicly available, but it is worth a shot)

Brush fires in Lehigh County PA, Lehigh County abuts northern New Jersey.

Fire in Harriman State Park in NY, Harriman Park is north of New York City.

I had to delete a link from Firehouse dot com reporting on brush fires on Long Island as the article is no longer available.

And from my friends at the Section B10 (NJFFS) website: in their current NJ wildfire activity section*, they reported on a 2-acre fire in an Ocean County park (Lakewood NJ), Bravo 1 (AT 602) made 3 drops. A short article on this fire may be found here.

*The current NJ wildfire activity section of the Section B10 website is updated every few days, so you may see different information from what I reported here when you access the site.

Revised on October 12, 2015 to removed a dead link.

No comments: