Monday, April 22, 2013

Flight to NJFFS base at Aeroflex-Andover

Andover-Aeroflex, Ag-Cats (2) at far end of hanger

Andover-Aeroflex, Ag-Cats (2) at far end of hanger

Andover-Aeroflex, Ag-Cats (2) at left end of hanger

I had a great scenic flight this morning with a great pilot. The destination was the SEAT base for New Jersey Forest Fire Service Division A at Andover-Aeroflex, who knew we were coming. 

It was a bit windy, winds from 110 about 18 knots (+/-) about 20 minutes before we took off. The winds at take-off were not as bad as expected and we had a quick flight to Aeroflex-Andover. 

When we got to Aeroflex-Andover after a flight of about 20 minutes, the pilot announced our approach for landing on runway 3. I saw the wind sock, the winds were blowing across the runway, or in aviation terminology there was a cross wind. 

On the first attempt, the pilot flew a normal pattern, when she turned to base she had overshot the runway because of the winds. She made adjustments on the second attempt (what I believe is referred to as a side-slip) and was lined up for final into runway 3, but the cross-winds were too strong. A related factor is the length of the runway (about 1,900 ft) with a lake at either end of the runway. And the airport is in the mountains in northern NJ in an area known for "squirrely winds." She aborted the landing. 

She flew the pattern at a slightly higher altitude one more time so I could get these pictures. Not great quality, I did the best that I could considering the winds. But I wanted to give you an idea of the layout and where the Ag-Cats are parked.

Literally a couple of minutes after we departed the pattern at Aeroflex-Andover, we heard someone on the radio with a "weather advisory" for winds gusting at 20 knots or more. A 20 knot cross-wind is a significant cross-wind for a Cessna trainer.

I have renewed respect for the winds. I could feel the winds when we were lined up for the final approach blowing across the Cessna trainer. While I felt the winds, I knew that I was in good hands with a good and competent pilot.

I did not get to see Downstown's Ag-Cats up close and personal, that will come on another day. But I had an important experience on this flight. A friend of mine told me that the only mandatory part of a flight is landing, that the rest is voluntary. and the pilot did that. She landed safely. And I get to share about this experience with you.

No comments: