Monday, January 09, 2017

How NOAA and Researchers have been Preparing for GOES-R/16

I've spent some time over the last few days trying to learn more about GOES-R/16. I've already mentioned some of the websites that I visit in posts on November 21,2016, and November 22,2016. For the very latest on new developments by GOES-R/16 you will want NOAA's Satellite Information Service's GOES-R/16 blog.

One of the things on my mind as I go about doing reading on GOES-R/16 is to keep an eye out for good, understandable information on GOES-R/16 that I may share with you (link to in my blog). To that end, I was checking out a couple of NOAA satellite's social media accounts a couple of days ago. I already knew that NOAA Satellites has a twitter account (@NOAASatellites) where they share great images and videos from their satellites as well as images and videos from the satellites of other countries, e.g. Japan's Himawari-8 satellite (shared by NOAA Satellites on January 5th). Often they provide a link where you may go for more information about the image you are seeing. Among the images that @NOAA Satellites shares are images from GOES East and GOES West.

I went to NOAA Satellite's Facebook Page late last Friday and found some information on for how researchers and scientists have been using GOES-14 (the back-up in orbit spare) in rapid scan mode to prepare for GOES-R/16. You may also want to learn more about the Super Rapid Scan (SRS) capability of GOES-14 and how researchers have been using GOES-14 in SRS mode for the last few years in an article from the Space Science and Engineering Center at the University of Wisconison-Madison with an interview with the Director of NOAA's Advanced Satellite's Product Branch (ASPB), Tim Schmidt, the article may be found here.

As I find more interesting links on GOES-R/16 I will, from time to time, share them here.

No comments: