Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The next six days

The next six days will probably be without internet access. We come back here to Wendels on Tuesday, June 26. If I am able, I will post a brief comment from an internet cafe. If it happens that we have good internet access from one of the places where we are staying, than I will be able to post a longer entry. Note that Don, our trip leader, had to make other arrangements than any of those listed for Blantyre. A long story and one I won't go into here. We will be staying at another Church sponsored guesthouse in Blantyre, one whose name I don't quite remember.

So, I am posting the itinerary that I have on my computer, sent to us by Don about a week before I left the U.S.

June 20, Wednesday
Lilongwe to Liwonde. Jean Richardson makes presentation on Compliance Issues in HIV/AIDS Prevention through Ministry of Health. Drive to Liwonde, leaving mid-morning. Lodging at Hippo View Lodge, Liwonde (near Shire River).

June 21. Thursday
At 8 a.m. Shire River boat ride into Liwonde National Park to see wildlife for 1 to 2 hours. Drive about 1 hour to Malosa to visit St. Luke’s Hospital, and to see GAIA villages IGA’s and HBC patient. Discussion and conversation about ARV compliance with Dr. Jean Richardson and St. Luke clinicians. Picnic lunch. Drive to Zomba. Lodging at Hotel Masongola.

June 22, Friday
Zomba to Blantyre. Early morning walk after breakfast through the Malawi Botanical Gardens---not to be missed! Morning visiting with Rachel Fiedler and Lydia Project
In the afternoon we travel to Blantyre. Dinner in town at a great Indian Restaurant.
Lodging at Kabula Hill Lodge or the Assemblies of God Guesthouse.

June 23, Saturday
Meet with Global Aids Interfaith Alliance (GAIA) leaders Jones Laviwa, Alice Mbumbve. GAIA villages and IGA’s.[I think that IGA refer to GAIA funded projects where people are involved in income generating activities. Meet with Nursing students ??? Lodging at Kabula Hill Lodge or the Assemblies of God Guesthouse.

June 24, Sunday
Travel to Chikwawa. Church Service
Visit Chikwawa Hospital, Baptist and Presbyterian AIDS`orphan work, Anglican Clinic and Water Project (this is the village that I wrote about.) Dinner and lodging at Sucoma Sports Club in Nchala.

June 25, Monday
Return to Blantyre. Visit Fletcher and Clara Kaiya’s orphan care project. Meet with Fletcher Kaiya, Baptist Convention of Malawi. Lodging at Kabula Hill Lodge or the Assemblies of God Guesthouse.

June 26, Tuesday
Blantyre to Lilongwe. Drive to Lilongwe Mua Mission enroute to Lilongwe??? Sleep at Wendels Guest House in Lilongwe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler,

I have been following your trip and feel, at a distance, ups and downs when I hear of and see the great beauty of both the land and the people and then see and hear about the unfathomable poverty...I can only imagine what it must be like for you to experience this. You have been in my prayers as are the people you are visiting with.

Christy
P.S. Love the pic of you in your chitenje cloth...hope you'll model it for us when you get home!

PamW said...

I am in awe of your journey.
The children, as they are smiling in your pictures, remind me of the children I taught in South Arlington, Virginia, and here in Florida. I would not want to see the despair on their faces as they turn away because I have seen a hint of that despair on a few of the faces I have taught.
My brother- (a lawyer but a wanna be docotor) -in-law travels to Africa, and India and other destitute places in the world to assist his doctor friends who offer free medical help to those who need it. A part of the "doctors without walls" program.
You are amazing people to do this kind of work.
BTW, don't say the church can't do much. One church? No maybe not, but there are more and more churches and people willing to do what they can. I am fortunate, my son is one of those types of people. It's a "WE" thing Tyler.
Hugs,
Pam

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Christy,

I am humbled to know that I may have accomplished, through my blog, what I set out to do in writing. To put into words that which I saw as well as what I was feeling at the time.

Tyler

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Pamela,

You challenged me in another venue to fully believe that a small ripple in a pond makes a difference. And through my writing, I strive to make a difference