Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 11: In Blantyre

Some of us are at a hotel, on the expensive side for Malawi, but it has a wi-fi hot spot and I purchased a card from the desk clerk. I was very homesick and this opportunity presented itself. I decided that it was worth the extra expense to be able to connect to the internet.

We had the morning off, and many slept in. We were not due to leave to go back to Blantyre until 10:30 AM. At the last minute, we ended up stopping at a Baptist Church that really was about 10 minutes away from the sugar plantation. We stayed for about 45 minutes. The singing and music was wonderful and we were warmly welcomed. We got to Blantyre about 2 PM.

Don and Mary and another couple, Tim and Jane went to an orphanage run by the Baptists, about one hour off the main road. Luzu talked to them just after we arrived, I don't know if they had gotten to the orphanage yet. Anyway, tonight we are having dinner with another baptist pastor in Blantyre. The young people and our food treasurer, Margo, went to the local grocery store to buy them food. Luzu is going to help by suggesting food that we can purchase for them.

By the way, I just adore Luzu. He is very special. And another saint.

Addendum

Don, Mary, Tim and Jane arrived in Blantyre around 5 PM. They were very moved by the orphan project that they visited. We had an absolutely wonderful time with Fletcher and Clara Kaiya. Fletcher is the Baptist Pastor I wrote about. I felt very refreshed by the warm welcome we received, I felt at home. The Kaiya's have about 16 children living with them under the age of 16, only one is their own child by birth, Mildred. Pastor Kaiya told us the Mildred considers the others her brothers and sisters. All or most of the other children are orphans. Two of their older children, both young men, are living with them as well. One Jonathan, is a bicycle racer who wants to race in the Tour de France. I have no doubt that he will make it. The children sang a couple of songs for us after dinner. They were delightful! The evening and the very warm welcome we received from the Kaiya family went a long way to alleviating my homesickness.




Top: the Kaiya children
Bottom: Fletcher and Carla Kaiya

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Hi Tyler, this is Katie Underwood. I've read all your Malawi entries now, and they're amazing. Thank you so much for blogging/photographing this so we can all witness your journey.

I can't wait to read the rest and see your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler,

I just finished reading your blogs. I enjoyed them immensely. You made your visit so easy to imagine.

I know you are looking forward to returning home. I lok forward to seeing more pictures after you return.

Hang in there.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

No matter how well your trip has been planned Tyler, it has to be emotionally draining to see the poverty and devastation considering the life we live here in the US. I only visited Europe and I just wanted to go home and that was 30 years ago. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for a sensitive and emotionally responsible human being to see what you have and not be depressed. Thought for today. "This too Shall Pass." We are all here waiting for you to return. I am sending you a cartoon type of thing. It will do you some good, open it when you see it. Hugs, Pam

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Katie,

So wonderful to hear from you! And glad that you enjoyed my blogging.

Hope you have been able to come back and see my pictures.

Tyler

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Debbie,

I did hang in there. And had the support of the wonderful people that I traveled with as well as prayers of many from home.

Tyler

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Pam,

Emotionally draining. Yes. And it did pass.

Loved your cartoon.

Tyler