Sunday, June 10, 2007

Eleven hours till departure

Well, my travels begin tonight. My flight for London is scheduled to leave Liberty International Airport (formerly known as Newark International Airport) at 9:30 PM. If the flight is on time, I will arrive at Heathrow at 9:05 AM, London time and go to a hotel in the west end of London. I hope to be able to take a nap for a couple of hours before meeting some friends at 4PM for dinner. Then back to the hotel for what I hope will be a good nights sleep.

On Tuesday, I want to go the observatory in Greenwich, and possibly to the Tower of London. Wednesday, I check out of the hotel by 11 AM and do not have to leave for Heathrow until about 4 PM in the afternoon for my 8:30 flight to Johannesburg. I understand that the British Museum is within walking distance of the hotel, so I may hang out there.

In the time since I last posted, I have spent time getting ready. In addition, I have been spending what I hope is quality time with my loved ones.

I got few British Pounds from my bank. What is interesting is that the Pounds appeared to be shipped to the bank via DHL overnight. I could be wrong, but it looked the banker got the Pounds from a DHL overnight bag.

I got most of my pre-trip "chores" done by Tuesday or Wednesday so that I have been able to be somewhat more relaxed the last couple of days. One of the things I did was to put together all the stuff that I had purchased for my trip and put them in my suitcase. I know, it sounds a little over the top, however, I did realize that there were some missing items. I had time to purchase these with plenty of time to spare. One checked bag, on the small size, and one carry-one bag.

The hotel where I am staying in London has high speed internet access in each room, so I hope to be able to post once or twice from London before departing for Afica.

No comments: