Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Day 6: Kanengo AIDS Support Organization

This morning we visited two sites of the Kanengo AIDS Support Organization (KASO) in Kanengo, a town not far from Lilongwe. At both sites that we visited, they run a pre-school program where in addition to pre-school activities, they also provided a meal.

The first site was not far from Lilongwe, perhaps 20 minutes. The second site was about a 20 minute drive from the first site along a dirt road that grew more rutted and dusty as we got further and further into the countryside. The director of the program is a wonderful man named Richard.

At both sites they had a few children's books, some in English, some in Spanish. It did not seem to matter. A book is a book. Just as I was wondering how they teach mathematics ideas to the preschoolers, I glanced at the blocks. So, I asked Richard, who was standing near me, they use the blocks to teach counting? He said yes. At the second site, and I'm sorry that I was unable to get a picture of this, they had a poster (from UNICEF?) with very simple pictoral multiplication ideas.

Note the boy with guitar in front of the table of books. I asked him to play some music for me while I took his picture.


No comments: